The suburb and beach was named after the ship, the SS Dicky, which ran aground during heavy seas on 4 February 1893. It was re-floated, but again, heavy seas turned the ship about and back onto the sand where it remains to this day.
The area was named after the iron steamboat, the SS Dicky (226 gross tons), which ran aground during heavy seas on 12 February 1893. It was refloated, but again, heavy seas turned the ship about and back onto the sand where it remained. Dicky Beach remains the only recreational beach in the world to be named after a shipwreck. The ship was used as a venue for dances until a kerosene lamp overturned and burned out the ship. In April 1963, the propeller was removed by the Landsborough Shire Council to use on a memorial cairn, accompanied by a plaque provided by the Queensland Women's Historical Association. The opening ceremony was performed by Queensland Premier Frank Nicklin on 24 November 1963.
In 2014, the Sunshine Coast Regional Council decided that the deterioration of the wreck had created a hazard for swimmers due to sharp edges becoming revealed by shifting sand. The decision was taken to relocate the wreck away from the beach. Some deeply buried parts of the wreck will remain on the beach; other parts will be relocated into a foreshore park with an interpretive display, while other parts will be conserved and stored. It is expected that over time more of the wreck will be exposed and will be progressively removed.
The population in 2006 was 1489.
The population in 2011 was 1758 with a median age of 48.
Dicky Beach is a patrolled beach, and is home to the Dicky Beach Surf Life Saving Club. It has been awarded numerous awards, including the 'DHL Queensland Surf Life Saving Club of the Year' in 2009. There is also a caravan park in the area.
Traditional coastal community, gorgeous beach, Caloundra Golf Club
The traditional coastal community of Dicky Beach is made popular by its beautiful beach with its long stretch of clean white sand, just north of Caloundra. Dicky Beach is also home to the Caloundra Golf Club, a skate park and the hull of the ship SS Dicky which ran aground during heavy seas in 1893. The decks that once rang with the sounds of celebrations and local dances have been destroyed by fire, with the ship now little more than a skeleton of the hull. Dicky Beach itself extends north toward Point Cartwright and south to Moffat Beach. It is patrolled everyday of the year and is renowned for its safe swimming and quality surf. The tranquil and picturesque setting encourages holidaymakers to relax and enjoy the beach, take a long walk, visit the wreck, or just take in the sight of ships and boats passing by. Facilities and entertainment are either nearby or only a short drive away.
Post Code 4551, Distance to Brisbane CBD 93km